Sunday, April 10, 2011

Protective Energies

I have a good friend who tells me frequently that sometimes I am difficult to understand because I speak with too many idioms.  Having grown up under a rock, she sometimes has trouble figuring out what they mean. It can be quite comical, as she often takes them literally. I use this to preface the continuation of our story because each day when I pick up the boys, I always ask several loaded questions. The first, “Is your homework done?”, usually needs to be asked twice in order to ferret out the truth, which often requires parental skills in managing pediatric avoidance behaviors. The second question “Did you have any visitors today?”, sounds innocent enough, but I’ve learned to ask it because their gifts are developing so rapidly that they are beginning to feel like common place and the boys often forget to tell me.  On this particular day I heard something very different than the expected reply involving sightings of auras, relatives who have passed over or my childhood pets. I didn’t realize those would only be a drop in the bucket.  And so our story continues…
Seeing that it was time to hit the books, the three of us sat down at the kitchen table. The late afternoon sun was pushing itself through the blinds and leaving streaks across the table and floor. The light was just enough to brighten the room but not enough to warm a spot in the corner for Cat to lie. I was foolishly trying to assist with homework and the boys were successfully avoiding it. My younger son suddenly jumped up and turned on my I-pod.  In moments he was gyrating to Usher’s OMG. This is when I knew with a fair amount of certainty that I had lost control. I temporarily threw in the towel and went back to the drawing board. I decided to go back to something they actually found interesting.
“Did you have any visitors today?” I asked my oldest. He beamed at me with a  smile so big it seemed like it would burst off his face for lack of room. I took that as an affirmative and grabbed the nearest Post-it pad ready to take notes.  Soon I was the one being tutored.  My son described a series of experiences with bright shining ball-shapes of light.  He said that one appeared to be sitting in the chair next to him at school, waiting for him in the boys bathroom, and even hanging out at the afterschool program.   In hindsight, the amazement on my face must of resembled the same expression on Richard Dreyfuss’ face during his first encounter in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  I felt a combination of astonishment and respect.
 “I was in the bathroom today and while I was washing my hands, I saw a glowing light out of the corner of my eye.  It was over by the door.  It wasn’t just a ball of light. It had points on it, like it was so shiny.” he said.  “I think it was the same bright light that was sitting in the chair next to me in reading class today, too.” 

 I knew he wasn’t joshing me, so immediately the lioness in me roared into action and began barraging him with a series of questions designed to set my mind at ease.  They consisted of questions like Was it a white light?  How did it make you feel?  Did you speak to it?  Did it speak to you?  Satisfied with the responses, I let him continue.
“Then after school I saw a glowing sort of person-shaped thing.  It was sort of standing, I guess, over by the desk.  I think…I don’t know…it’s hard to explain.” 

I listened intently, trying to make sure I understood.  I had to admit that each time we had conversations like this, which was frequently now, I felt both elation and envy.  I was so honored to be a part of such a miraculous process, to be chosen to raise these children, but I was also a little envious; part of me wanted to see just a little bit of what he could see.
He continued with patience, “When I saw that, an image of Pop Pop jumped into my head, so I thought that it might be Pop Pop following me around today.  Do you think so?”
While I didn’t particularly know for sure, I did remember that earlier in the week I had a conversation with our medium friend about the physical and spiritual protection of the boys.  I wanted to be sure that with all of the things they were hearing, seeing, and generally experiencing, that they were safe.  I also spent a little time talking to my mom and my late dad about the same topic.  Then something occurred to me: Over the years, I’ve learned that each living thing vibrates at a certain frequency.  I’ve also learned that thoughts and actions also vibrate at a certain frequency.  Fundamental physics teaches us that ‘like attracts like’ and that holds true all over the Universe.  When I began focusing energy in the form of thought and conversation on their protection, is it possible I helped to bring that to them.   I don’t know if they were family spirits or angels, but I do believe they were positive, protective energies.  After all, what negative energy would care enough to follow the boy into the bathroom?  Only a loving being would do that.
Until next time…breathe deeply, and see only positive.